Conflict Free and Client Focused Integrated Advice
and Unparalleled Execution
BBSL was founded in 2009, its mission being to assist its corporate
and institutional investor clients maximize shareholders value and
investor returns respectively in a consistent and sustainable manner by
providing conflict free and client focused advice matched
with unparalleled execution
Provide clients with independent, impartial, proactive, novel, sound
and informed advice and perspective on the challenges which they face by:
Treating our clients’ challenges as if they are our own and acting as a trusted partner with integrity and empathy
Researching extensively; thinking about, analyzing and reviewing issues in a multi-dimensional manner; not being afraid to be contrarian; and connecting constructively disparate information
Focusing on building long-term relationships based on trust and discretion, and not on “deals” for the sake of doing “deals” to generate a fee
Integrated advice and unparalleled execution.
Helping our clients identify and pursue strategic priorities and opportunities
• Review, formulation and implementation of strategy
• Mergers & Acquisitions
• Joint Ventures
• Optimization of capital structure and financings
• Raising of capital
To date, BBSL has advised*:
Leading international private equity companies such as the
Abu Dhabi Investment Council, Actis, Advent International, Apax Partners, Cinven,
Gores Management Company, Investcorp, JH Partners, Metropoulos & Co, Mid Europa Partners,
Permira, Riverside Company, Stirling Square Capital Partners,
Sun Capital Partners, TA Associates and Warburg Pincus.
Major Greek companies such as
OPAP (the Greek national lottery company and one of the world’s largest lottery companies),
Viohalco Group (one of the leading heavy industrial groups in the region),
Coco-Mat (the world’s leading natural mattress firm),
Ble Kedros REIT and Spick & Span (the largest industrial laundry company in Greece)
* Advised implies that a mandate letter was signed and/or there was a verbal or written agreement for BBSL to advice on a strategic opportunity which it introduced and it was reviewing with a client
Coco-Mat “Sleep on Nature” is the largest natural mattress company in the world with over 100 stores in 18 countries. The founding family wished to free capital and diversify their holdings and for this purpose it hired BBSL to advise it on the sale of a strategic stake in the company.
Actions undertaken by BBSL as adviser to Coco-Mat’s owners:
• Prepared the company for the sale of a strategic stake:
- Split company into two separate companies: the operating company consisting of the factory/production and the commercial business of
Coco-Mat (brand name, retail and wholesale sales etc.) and the other consisting of the significant portfolio of retail real estate assets
which the company owned.
- Advised owners on the re-organization of the operating company from a family managed company into a “public” one organized into divisions with clearly defined responsibilities and reporting lines.
- Drafted a 5-year business plan of the operating company to present to potential investors.•
• Executed the sale of 50% of the operating company to a blue-chip investor – the Libra Group (sum undisclosed)
- Researched the market and drafted a list of potential international investors
- Approached the investors on a confidential basis
- Lead negotiations with selected investor, drafted joint venture agreement and executed the investment.
It is notable that the sale of the stake was undertaken with the fact becoming public information only after the investment was completed, when it was announced officially by the relevant parties.
• Implemented follow-up actions for the company
- Led and executed the acquisition of 50% of the company’s nascent US subsidiary company which was owned by the company’s US partner
- Planned and executed the development of the company’s business in the US: opening 4 stores including a showroom at the Las Vegas Furniture Market; organized and supervised the business including the establishment of a perpetual inventory system
- Initiated and oversaw the SEO (search engine optimization) and SEM (search engine marketing) actions for the company
- Established Coco-Mat’s global collaboration with Natuzzi Italia, one of the world’s leading furniture companies: from meeting with Mr. Natuzzi and orchestrating discussions, to creating the concept as to how to win the mandate, overseeing and managing the bid process, negotiating and organizing the whole collaboration (including processes), signing agreement etc.
- Initiated and established Coco-Mat’s collaboration with Equinox Hotels in the US, which is a sister company of Equinox Fitness and is owned by L Catterton and the Related Companies Group: establishing relationship and commencing discussions with the CEO, reviewing and refining the hotel pricing structure of Coco-Mat which had not been reviewed for the last 8 years, negotiating, establishing basis of collaboration, signing agreement etc.
- Established the company’s retail store distribution network in Paris and in Cyprus.
- Established the owners’ other company which owned the retail real estate assets into a Real Estate Investment Trust company and had this company approved and registered as such by the Hellenic Capital Markets Commission.
BBSL was founded by Marios Sophroniou who has over 25 years experience
as an investment banker and investor.
His experience prior to establishing BBSL includes being:
- Investment Director at First New York Securities hedge fund in New York, where he was responsible for analysing and reviewing investments in the industrial and financial sectors (7 years);
- Adviser to the Chairman and CEO of Bank of Cyprus Group (Greece’s 3rd largest banking group at the time) as also the founder and Managing Director of the bank’s Investment Banking Division in Greece which incorporated the corporate finance, stockbroking and asset management activities of the bank (4 years);
- Headed from London Baring Brothers investment banking activities in Greece where he was instrumental in pioneering and pivotal corporate finance projects which attracted major industrial and institutional investors and thus opened the Greek Market to the international investment community (6 years);
- Vice President at Citibank’s Financial Institutions Group - Corporate Finance Division in London (3 years); and
- Executive Management Trainee at EDS in Dallas and London working for the office of the CFO (1 year)
Other than the clients of BBSL, Marios in his previous capacities, has worked on projects for clients which include Allied Domecq, Alpha Bank, BAT, Boutari Winery, Cimpor Cementos, Coco-Cola FEMSA, Coco-Cola HBC, Coats Viyella, Delhaize, Ergobank, Greek Progress Investment Trust, Hiram Walker, Inchcape, Intrasoft/Intracom, Lloyds Bank, Lonza, National Bank of Greece, Northern Telecom, Prudential Insurance, Repsol, Richemont, STJ Advisors (Senior Advisor – Greece), Titan Cement and YPF to name a few.
Marios knows many of the leaders in the financial, corporate, legislative, supervisory, legal and accounting community in Greece; and internationally he has developed an extensive network of important contacts in the investment and corporate community in the US, Europe, Middle East and Asia.
He is on the board of several companies in Greece.
Building C – Spaces, 59-61 Agiou Konstantinou
Maroussi, 15124 Athens, Greece
1 Grigoris Afxentiou, Agios Tichonas
4521 Limassol, Cyprus
+30 6983 107-576
+30 211 016-8734
Email: [email protected]
Incorporation Information and Registered Office:
Registered in the Republic of Cyprus on 3rd August 2009. Company registration number HE 253231.
Keep in touch